It was in 1990 that German pop act Snap! released dance track with the catchy lyric “I’ve got the power.” Now 27 years on, Theresa May has called a snap election hoping for a similar mantra. The PM wants to draw a line under the Brexit naysayers, or in the subtle words of the Daily Mail’s front page… CRUSH THE SABOTEURS. The current polls suggest it will give her the mandate she needs to push on with Britain’s exodus from the EU but a lot can change between now and June 8. Henry Newman, director of think-tank Open Europe, joined Tim to discuss the potential impact the election will have on Brexit, whether May should be fronting up in a public debate, and what might happen should the Tories be overthrown.
STAY ON TOP OF THE BEST BREXIT NEWS
Join our mailing list here - we promise, no spam
- Jim Duffy and Lucy-Rose Walker on the business mind-set required to make Brexit a success
- Pete North from the Leave Alliance says ‘Flexcit’ is the UK’s only hope
- Tommy Holgate on why he ran for the Peace Party
- Dr Garvan Walshe on how learning the lessons of the Iraq war will help Brexit
- Priya Minhas and Adam Drummond on multiculturalism and British identity